RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars Season 7, Episode 7 takes us over the midway level of the Paramount+ present—and it nonetheless feels like every of those queens may win.
The All Winners season’s second design problem takes us again to the enjoyable of Raja’s authentic season, the place the sheer quantity of design challenges drove everybody slightly insane. And who doesn’t wish to see our queens sweat slightly?
Episode 7, nevertheless, begins post-blocking, and post-Yvie’s win. The truth that Yvie received this problem actually highlights how silly the “you win a star to provide away” twist was—if a queen solely makes it into the ultimate due to a star she is given, then it cheapens the entire course of.
Whereas Yvie is celebrating, Vivienne is clearly letting the method get to her slightly. Which is sensible—she doesn’t know her fellow opponents in addition to they know one another. She additionally arguably had extra to show coming into this competitors as the one non-U.S. winner. So getting blocked should harm all of the extra—although it’s hilarious that she bought her revenge by inadvertently blocking Jinkx throughout a problem Jinkx was virtually assured to not win.
Facet be aware—whoever in manufacturing adopted Viv’s instruction and adjusted her caption to “Karen—on maintain for the supervisor” deserves a Legendary Legends badge all of their very own.
This week’s problem sees all of the queens having to design outfits impressed by a few of the most well-known RuPaul appears to be like. This being Drag Race, although, the problem can also be spon, this time for Pinterest. One way or the other, Pinterest appears like much more of a throwback than the TRL references final week.
As final week’s winner, Viv will get to choose first, and chooses Ru’s gold “DESPY Awards” robe—maybe one of the best gown Ru ever wore on the present. Trinity picks the big-bowed Season 8 promo look, Monet the futuristic “facekini” look, Shea her Season 5 pink leopard print robe, Jaida her VH1 Divas 2000 ensemble, Yvie the traditional 1992 Supermodel of the World gown. Raja then will get the worst look by far, the Season 7 Born Bare look with all of the slashes, aka, “American Attire, however make it drag.”
Whereas the queens assemble their appears to be like, we get one of many season’s greatest Ru walkarounds. Ru reminiscing with Yvie about her 1992 rise to stardom (which was the 12 months Yvie was born) was cute, particularly if the rumors about Ru being on her method to retirement are true.
Ru telling Monet that her “facekini” look was simply her making an attempt one thing new was fascinating—particularly because the rumor that has circulated round Drag Race followers for years was that she was too sick to do her make-up that week.
Shea, in the meantime, decides that she goes to make her personal print for her look that week, giving Venture Runway followers in all places a heat feeling of nostalgia to that present’s print problem. Good instances.
Whereas Shea is tough at work, Jinkx is dropping her thoughts. After making her bodice, she discovers it doesn’t match. Jinkx of Season 5 could be misplaced to a match of narcolepsy at this level, however fortunately new Jinkx has Yvie to spank some life into her. Jinkx’s response right here highlights why stitching challenges are nice, and why the present bought worse as we bought much less and fewer of them. Attempting to create couture in mere hours is close to unimaginable, so it brings a manic power that’s quite a lot of enjoyable to look at. Plus, we get fierce appears to be like by the tip. As Trixie may say to the sound of tumbleweeds, winner winner hen dinner.
Subsequent is the runway, which is an actual testomony to the extent of expertise within the All Stars, All Winners season. Even Jinkx’s look does not suck! Here is a breakdown of the appears to be like:
- Yvie: Inverting the outfit to place the tulle on prime is a enjoyable thought, and people pants are a shocking piece. However the prime half does probably not reside as much as the underside, and type of offers your primary pal at Coachella vibes.
- Vivienne: Like many challenges to this point, Viv is admittedly slept on tonight, along with her Vivienne Westwood tackle the look and her make-up fairly close to good. You possibly can possibly see why she was not within the prime (different queens have extra fascinating takes on their assigned look) however she ought to have been far more within the prime two dialog.
- Shea: Shea deserves credit score for taking essentially the most liberties along with her assigned look, turning the voluminous robe into a headband and arm ruffles. The result’s excessive vogue Angelyne, which you can’t be mad at, even if you want she had showcased that stunning cloth print she made slightly extra.
- Trinity: The top of pageantry, and an actual feat of stitching—even when these very sharp bows are slightly arts and craft.
- Raja: Solely Raja may pull off a appear like this. It’s not 1,000,000 miles away from Jiggly Caliente’s infamous “baked potato couture” in Season 4, and but by some means Raja makes it look extremely stylish. She must also be counseled for making one thing so high-fashion from absolutely the worst assigned gown. Plus, Raja describing it as “Mattress, Bathtub and Past Thunderdome” is thee quote of the episode.
- Jinkx: Are we grading on a curve as a result of it’s Jinkx, or is that this really good? Certain, the saloon vibes are hardly authentic for Jinkx, and the half-painted lip doesn’t learn nicely on digital camera, nevertheless it all type of works.
- Jaida: Pure perfection. Certain, she was given one of the best cloth to start out with, however that stuff just isn’t simple to stitch, and what Jaida does with it’s breathtaking.
- Monet: The hat that Monet spent so lengthy figuring out is bound to be divisive (the feathers are in all probability a step too far), however this can be a enjoyable interpretation on the look, and making a bodysuit that well-fitting just isn’t simple.
Then we’re on to the critiques. Besides we can not actually name them critiques, as a result of every little thing is constructive. We get that that is the highest-caliber of drag, and also you in all probability needed to promise these queens quite a lot of constructive protection to get them to come back again, nevertheless it stays unfun to look at these queens simply get complimented for quarter-hour—even once they deserve it.
As soon as each contestant has been praised, the judges choose Trinity and Jaida as the highest two. There are appears to be like on that stage higher than Trinity’s, however the quantity of assist she gave everybody with their stitching makes the win really feel deserved.
Jaida, in the meantime, has her third star, all however guaranteeing her place within the finale at this level. Many would agree that she deserves a spot there, however it’s also barely annoying. Jaida has solely received two challenges and has three stars because of the “give a star” twist, whereas Trinity has received three challenges and has two stars (as has Jinkx).
These queens might deserve their wins, however they do not should should lip-sync to a Jessie J track. “I Need Love” has all the appropriate dynamics for a superb lip-sync track, however “I need you and me, there isn’t any confusion/Breakin’ all our New 12 months’s resolutions” stays one of many all-time dumb couplets—what, Jessie and her beau are deciding to finish their diets and cease going to the fitness center, however in a horny means?
The lip-sync is fairly evenly matched, however Trinity takes the win. Although everyone knows there is just one winner this week, and it is the cut up visitor choose Betsey Johnson did on the runway.
Trinity blocks Yvie, which is sensible in a method (she has two stars), however not in others (she has solely received one problem). At this level, nevertheless, the queens should all be so frazzled that it is a shock Trinity doesn’t by chance block herself.
RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars Season 7 continues Fridays on Paramount+.