MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Racial Justice Community calls for a statewide ban a on high-speed chases by regulation enforcement following the deaths of a number of teenagers in latest months.
The grassroots group launched an announcement on Saturday calling for Gov. Tim Walz, Mayor Jacob Frey, Robbinsdale Mayor Invoice Blonigan and different elected officers to demand an finish to high-speed police chases in Minnesota and police accountability, stated the discharge.
READ MORE: Retaining Your Coronary heart Wholesome Whereas Shoveling Snow
On Thursday, two youngsters had been killed and three injured on account of a police pursuit that led to a crash in northeast Minneapolis.
“A number of younger lives have been unnecessarily taken this yr as a consequence of high-speed police pursuits, which additionally threaten the protection of harmless bystanders in our neighborhood,” stated the discharge.
READ MORE: ‘Excellent Storm’ For Winter Out of doors Actions On Saturday
In accordance with the discharge, since October 2020, there have been not less than 5 examples of high-speed police chases leading to 9 deaths.
- Dec.9, Robbinsdale Police division initiated a high-speed chase that led to Northeast Minneapolis ensuing within the deaths of two youngsters.
- Sept. 5, a high-speed chase initiated by the Eden Prairie Police Division resulted within the loss of life of a 19-year-old.
- Sept.3, two youngsters, ages 14 and 15, had been killed on account of a high-speed chase initiated by North St. Paul police.
- July 6, Leneal Frazier was killed throughout a high-speed chase by Minneapolis police.
- October 2020, three youngsters had been killed throughout a excessive pace chase in North Minneapolis.
“These are mindless deaths that may and ought to be prevented. When officers proceed to provoke excessive pace chases in residential areas, they’re exhibiting a blatant disregard for human life.” stated Racial Justice Community member Sonja Western.
MORE NEWS: Californian Killed In Maplewood Crash