If you happen to’re planning a visit to Finland in winter, you may be contemplating together with a keep in a glass igloo throughout your time there. If that’s the case, we wished to share our ideas on Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, which was the unique glass igloo lodge in Finland.
While there are actually many glass igloo accommodations in Finland, Kakslauttanen stays one of the vital well-known and likewise one of the vital standard. If you happen to’ve seen images of individuals searching of glass igloos in Lapland with the Northern Lights dancing within the sky above them, these had been most likely taken right here.
Though open year-round, it’s a significantly standard vacation spot within the winter. Along with the glass igloos, the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort additionally presents a spread of actions, the chance to fulfill Santa, a collection of different distinctive lodging choices and much extra moreover.
On this evaluation, we’re going to inform you every thing you’ll want to know to resolve if it’s value together with in your journey to Finland. This evaluation relies on our personal keep at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in a glass igloo, which we paid for ourself.
We additionally supply alternate options to the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, together with different accommodations that supply glass igloos in Finnish Lapland, in addition to different distinctive Finnish lodging choices resembling snow accommodations, ice accommodations, and even actual handmade snow igloos.
We’d recommend studying this put up along with a few of our different posts, together with our Finland winter itinerary, our recommendations for winter actions in Finland, and our Finland winter packing listing. These ought to totally put together you for visiting Finland in winter!
The place is Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is in northern Finland, 10km (6 miles) south of the resort village of Saariselkä. It’s 241 km (150 miles) north of the Arctic Circle.
The handle is Kiilopääntie 9, 99830 Saariselkä, Finland.
How To Get to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Regardless of being in a distant a part of Finland, Kakslauttanen is pretty simple to get to for guests to Lapland.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Automotive
In case you are self-driving in Finland, then there are good highway connections. This was how I bought to Kakslauttanen, driving from Rovaniemi.
The drive from Rovaniemi takes round 3 hours (it’s 247km / 147 miles) and the highway is nice. There’s plenty of parking on web site which is free.
In case you are ranging from Helsinki or elsewhere in southern Finland, I’d advise towards driving from Helsinki to Kakslauttanen because it’s a good distance. You might be higher off flying or taking the prepare as much as the Lapland space from Helsinki as a substitute.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Airplane
The closest airport to Kakslauttanen Arctic resort is Ivalo (IVL) airport. This airport presents flight connections to Helsinki, in addition to some worldwide locations.
Ivalo airport is a 30-minute drive away, and the Kakslauttanen resort presents a shuttle switch choice in the event you’d want to not drive. This prices round €29 per individual and must be booked upfront. There are additionally taxis accessible on the airport.
Attending to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort by Public Transport
There’s additionally the choice to take public transport to Kakslauttanen. Buses from Rovaniemi cease on the resort, with the journey taking round three hours. Finland has a superb bus community. We’ve taken a number of buses in Finland and have had optimistic experiences. You possibly can see bus schedules right here.
The closest prepare station to Kakslauttanen is technically Kemijärvi, however you’re going to be higher off taking the prepare to Rovaniemi after which taking both the bus to Kakslauttanen or renting a automotive.
Lodging Choices at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
You don’t have any scarcity of alternative on the subject of lodging at Kakslauttanen. The principle choices you have got are as follows.
- Cabin / Chalet. Out there in quite a lot of sizes, the smallest cabins are essentially the most cost-effective lodging choice at Kakslauttanen. The cabins are made out of logs, and have a sauna, kitchenette, en-suite rest room with bathe, and a log fire.
- Glass Igloo. Maybe essentially the most well-known lodging choice, these igloos provide you with beautiful nearly 360-degree views of the evening sky. They’re excellent for viewing the Northern Lights when you’ve got a transparent sky and a show is lively. Each small and enormous igloos can be found. The small igloos have a bathroom and kettle however no bathe and may sleep as much as 3 adults, while the big igloos even have a bathe and may sleep as much as 5 adults.
- Kelo-Glass Igloo. It is a intelligent building which takes the practicality and luxury of a log cabin, and provides on a glass igloo bed room space for 2 folks. They sleep as much as six and have a non-public sauna, fire, rest room, and kitchenette.
- Wedding ceremony Chamber. These earth lodges with turf roofs characteristic a double mattress and a rest room with bathtub
- Gold Digger Cabin – discovered on the banks of the river round 10 minutes from the reception space, these are a extra secluded chalet with room for as much as 4 visitors
- Queen Suite – it is a high-end luxurious choice with room for 2 visitors and one youngster. It contains VIP service with inclusive non-public airport transfers, baggage service, welcome basket, every day fire service and every day cleansing. There’s a double mattress, deluxe rest room with an indoor bathtub, and an out of doors jacuzzi.
You may be questioning which lodging choice we’d suggest. In case you are solely staying for one evening, we’d recommend both the glass igloo or Kelo Glass igloo.
The glass igloos are positively essentially the most distinctive choice and we positively loved the particular expertise of sleeping in a glass igloo underneath the Arctic sky. We additionally actually loved the electrical adjustable beds within the igloos. Nonetheless, we’d usually solely suggest the glass igloos for these planning to remain two nights or much less quite than an extended keep. The small area, lack of privateness, and shared showers (for the small igloos) are some drawbacks.
For these staying for greater than 2 nights, our suggestion is to both ebook a Kelo Glass Igloo for the total keep, which supplies you the most effective of each worlds. Or to spend one or two nights of your keep in a glass igloo and the rest in a log chalet.
The Kelo Glass igloo could be our suggestion to avoid wasting you from switching, however they’re slightly dearer in comparison with doing a log cabin and glass igloo mixture, so it’s as much as you. Additionally, while you get an identical expertise to the glass igloo, the view isn’t fairly as immersive because it backs onto a chalet, quite than being out within the open.
For these extra occupied with privateness and desirous to be away from others, I’d contemplate the Gold Digger Cabins.
You possibly can learn current critiques by vacationers who’ve stayed in every of those several types of rooms right here.
How A lot Does Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Value?
Pricing for Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort varies relying on two components.
First, the kind of lodging you select will have an effect, from small log cabins as much as the big kelo-glass igloos and queen suites.
Second, the time of 12 months you go to will have an effect on the value. There are three most important seasons.
The summer season season runs from the start of June to the top of October, and tends to have the bottom costs. Costs begin at round €122 for a double occupancy cabin, or €285 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
Subsequent is the winter shoulder season, which covers the beginning of November after which March by means of April. Costs within the winter shoulder season begin at round €348 for a double occupancy cabin, or €375 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
The most costly time to go to Kakslauttanen is the height winter season which runs from the twenty eighth November by means of to the top of February. That is the most well-liked time to go to, and the time the place you usually tend to have snow coated landscapes and an opportunity to see the northern lights.
Presently of 12 months, costs begin at round €415 for a double occupancy cabin, or €417 for a double occupancy small glass igloo.
Costs embrace taxes in addition to half board, which consists of a buffet breakfast and a three-course dinner. It doesn’t embrace lunch or a every day room cleansing service, each of which value additional. Different companies like actions, firewood, airport transfers and baggage transfers are additionally not included and should be paid for individually.
Observe that Kakslauttanen usually closes in spring throughout the whole month of Might.
After I stayed, I booked by means of reserving.com and you may see costs on your dates and occasion measurement right here.
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort East or West Village
One determination it would be best to make upfront of your go to is whether or not you wish to keep on the east or west village.
Initially, Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort was present in one location, which is immediately generally known as the East Village. That is, because the identify suggests, to the east of the principle freeway. It consists of 20 of the unique small glass igloos in addition to log cabins of various sizes. There are additionally Queen Suites and the earth made Wedding ceremony Chamber.
There’s additionally bathe services for the igloos, a sauna, a big restaurant, and a visitor reception space positioned within the East Village.
The West Village is newer, and is about 4km away from the East Village. It’s important to drive south down the principle highway in the direction of Rovaniemi after which out on the west village highway. There’s additionally a free shuttle bus service between the 2 villages that visitors can use, which runs on request and takes round ten to fifteen minutes between the 2 villages.
The West Village is far bigger than the East Village, and has completely different lodging choices. That is the place you’ll discover the Kelo Glass Igloos, in addition to each small and enormous glass igloos. There are additionally cabins and gold digger cabins.
The West Village additionally has an commentary tower, an igloo roofed bar, a big restaurant, a planetarium, saunas, Santa’s village, quite a lot of reception areas and extra eating places for group bookings. All of the actions at Kakslauttanen are additionally positioned on the west village.
The igloos are the identical design at each villages (though the west village has the choice of a bigger igloo with a bathe). Nonetheless, they’re slightly nearer collectively on the west village, and they’re out within the open quite than surrounded by timber. This provides higher viewing of the evening sky, however would possibly really feel a bit much less cosy. Listed below are some photographs evaluating the 2 to present you an concept of what I imply.
In both location, you will need to realise that there will likely be some inevitable mild air pollution, so while you possibly can after all see the evening sky and any Northern Lights, it received’t be fairly as excellent as in the event you had been out in the midst of nowhere with no man-made lights seen.
After I visited, I opted for the east village. This was for a number of causes. First, being smaller, it was much less busy. It additionally felt extra conventional and fewer spaced out, being simple to stroll in every single place. I beloved the concept of a glass igloo tucked away within the forest and the smaller scale which truly felt like a village. The igloos are additionally a bit extra spaced out.
While there have been no actions or services just like the artwork gallery and planetarium of the west village, I used to be in a position to bounce on a shuttle bus to the west village and make the most of these services if I wished to.
The west village is healthier in order for you quick access to extra services just like the funky glass roofed bar, and maybe desire a extra social expertise general as there are going to be extra folks about. It’s additionally a superb choice if you’re planning on doing loads of actions as they largely begin right here. In case you are visiting as a household and wish to minimise issues like shuttle bus time, it is a good choice.
Your lodging alternative will even partly dictate the place you keep. If you need a small glass igloo, you possibly can keep at both village. If you need a big glass igloo or Kelo glass igloo, you’ll be on the west village. If you need a Queen suite or earth lodge, these are solely on the east village.
An alternative choice is to spend an evening at each villages by selecting completely different kinds of lodging, though I’d suggest staying at one village on your entire keep in order to not lose time which you can be utilizing for enjoyable actions!
Eating at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
While you ebook to remain at Kakslauttanen, your keep will embrace a three-course a-la-carte dinner in addition to a buffet breakfast. Drinks aren’t included, aside from espresso, tea and juice with breakfast. Usually you’ll have your meals on the most important restaurant in your village (the West Village Aurora restaurant or the East Village Kelo restaurant).
You possibly can organize nonetheless organize to dine on the restaurant within the different village to the place you might be staying if you wish to strive completely different environment for one in all your nights. Teams even have the choice of reserving in both of the eating places.
The meals could be very a lot within the conventional Laplandic model, so count on issues like hearty soups, reindeer meat, potatoes, lingonberry sauce, and fish. In case you have any dietary necessities or preferences, it would be best to let the resort know upfront to make sure you’ll be catered for.
Breakfast is a buffet model primarily that includes chilly meats and cheeses, bread and cereals, in addition to pickled greens and fish. There are additionally typically scorching gadgets like scrambled eggs.
I loved all of the meals I had at Kakslauttanen. There was not an enormous alternative on the menu, however it was hearty and attractive.
Lunch can also be accessible on the two eating places, though it’s not included within the value of your keep. This is sensible as lots of people spend the day participating in actions, and plenty of of those actions embrace some type of packed lunch or different meals. Nonetheless, in the event you aren’t doing an exercise with an included meal, then you possibly can have a meal at one of many on-site eating places.
Lastly, in order for you a extra particular meal, you possibly can ebook a particular Lappish dinner. This does have an additional value.
Actions Out there at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort presents loads of several types of actions and experiences which you can ebook. Some happen on the resort itself and a few happen elsewhere within the native space. A few of these like particular Lappish dinners, the planetarium, Sami museum visits, and smoke saunas, are usually accessible year-round however many are seasonal or weather-dependent.
A pleasant factor about Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is that you are able to do lots of the standard summer season actions in Finland and winter actions in Finland on web site.
In summer season, the next actions are normally accessible to ebook (notice that a few of these will likely be climate dependent):
- Mountain climbing
- Midnight Solar excursions
- Horseback Driving
- Canoeing and Rafting
- Visits to Sami museum
- Farm visits
- Gold panning
In winter, the next actions are normally accessible to ebook (notice that a few of these will likely be climate / snow dependent):
- Nordic Snowboarding and Snowshoeing (gear rental in addition to instruction is accessible)
- Husky Safari
- Reindeer Safaris
- Horse Sleigh Rides
- Horseback Rides
- Snowmobile Safari. Varied choices can be found, together with an in a single day journey and aurora looking
- Snow tank experience. Additionally the choice to go aurora looking within the snow tank
- Ice fishing
- Santa Claus visits
- Aurora looking excursions
- Downhill snowboarding and snowboarding at close by ski space
Pricing for all these actions could be discovered on the web site. Some should be booked upfront of your go to, so I might positively advise reserving something you wish to do earlier than you arrive to keep away from disappointment. Value clever, I might say that almost all of the actions are on just about on par with reserving the actions wherever else in Finland.
What are the Probabilities of Seeing the Northern Lights at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
Finnish Lapland is without doubt one of the finest locations to see the Northern Lights, or aurora borealis, on earth throughout the winter months. Nonetheless, the possibilities to see the Northern Lights at Kakslauttanen are going to fluctuate vastly relying on the month, season, climate, and 12 months as aurora exercise could be very unpredictable.
You want a mix of sturdy photo voltaic wind exercise, good native climate, clear skies, and darkness. A little bit of luck additionally helps!
Nonetheless, there are a variety of things that may enhance your probabilities:
- Go to throughout the winter months. Though it’s attainable to view the Northern Lights in Finland from late August to late April, the most effective months are December to March as a result of you have got extra midnights. As well as, you usually tend to have beautiful snowy landscapes which can make your northern lights footage look even higher
- Keep multiple evening. The longer you keep the higher your possibilities of seeing the Northern Lights will likely be!
- Verify the Finnish meteorological web site for exercise that may trigger the northern lights. You may as well obtain apps which notify you of exercise in your space. Moreover, you should use the in-room aurora alert service which can notify you of any exercise.
- Take into account a Northern Lights targeted night tour. These excursions will get you away from the lights of the resort for the absolute best viewing circumstances
Try my information to photographing the northern lights so you might be totally ready must you be fortunate!
Finest Time of Yr to go to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort?
I might personally say that winter is the most effective time to go to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, simply because that’s when there’s more likely to be snow in addition to an opportunity to see the Northern Lights and do a number of the distinctive winter actions in Lapland. Additionally it is a preferred place for households to return to have fun Christmas in December.
Nonetheless, there are enjoyable issues to do on this a part of Finland all year long. We now have loved visiting Finland in all seasons. lodging is far cheaper, much less crowded, don’t want to fret about freezing temps and dangerous winter climate, don’t must pack all that winter gear, Midnight Solar, and so on.
Kakslauttanen is open many of the 12 months so you possibly can get pleasure from it any time of the 12 months and every season goes to be very completely different.
Is Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Price It?
That is after all a tough query to reply, as everybody has a special opinion of worth.
I very a lot loved my keep at Kakslauttanen and my evening within the glass igloo. It was a novel expertise, not like something I’ve had earlier than, and that positively made it value it for me. From pushing my baggage to my igloo on a toboggan, to mendacity underneath the celebs in a glass dome surrounded by a winter wonderland, it was actually beautiful.
The essential factor to grasp when it comes to worth is that while the costs are in step with a luxurious 5* lodge expertise, you might be primarily paying for the expertise and setting quite than a high-end lodge room.
For the glass igloo for instance, you might be paying for the expertise of sleeping in a glass igloo quite than a luxurious lodging. For the small igloos, for instance, it’s important to go to a separate constructing to make use of a bathe – not one thing you would possibly usually count on at a 5* lodge!
As well as, privateness isn’t actually a precedence within the igloos. While there’s a small curtain that hides the mattress space, and the toilet is behind opaque glass, the igloo is mostly designed to give you an unobstructed view out. If you happen to can see out, then folks can clearly see in.
There aren’t precisely lots of people round, and with the privateness curtains across the mattress drawn I by no means felt this was a problem, however you would possibly really feel otherwise.
If you need a extra luxurious expertise with the igloo choice, then I might suggest the Kelo Glass igloo as a substitute, as this provides you the consolation of a log cabin with a hearth and full rest room, in addition to a pleasant igloo-style space to sleep in.
I favored that breakfast and dinner had been included with the keep, as that will increase the worth.
One other factor that’s good about staying at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is that almost all of winter actions you would possibly wish to do in Finland could be organized on web site, together with husky sledding, reindeer safaris, snowmobiling and ice fishing.
While these are all issues that may be independently organized in Finland, it does imply you are able to do so much on the resort and principally have your full Finland winter expertise in a single place.
Total, I loved my keep at Kakslauttanen. While it’s positively not a funds vacation spot, it’s the kind of place you go to for the expertise, and as such we predict it was value it. Simply you should definitely handle your expectations and perceive you might be paying for the general expertise and site, quite than a high-end luxurious keep.
Options to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort
While Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort was the primary resort to popularise glass igloos in Finland, it’s positively not the one choice it’s important to select from immediately. Whether or not you might be on the lookout for a cheaper different or for a glass igloo in a special a part of Finland, we’ve got some instructed choices for you.
There are a number of places throughout Finland the place you possibly can keep in a glass igloo or related model lodging. Most of those additionally supply different lodging choices in addition to the chance to partake in varied winter actions.
Here’s a listing that features the vast majority of the glass igloo and related model accommodations in Finland. These are ordered by proximity to Kakslauttanen, with the closest on the prime.
Along with glass igloos, you may additionally contemplate staying in a snow lodge, ice lodge, or snow igloo whereas in Finland. These are seasonal and usually open annually in December and shut on the finish of March or starting of April, relying on snow and temperatures. Some choices to think about are the next.
- Arctic Snow Resort – This snow lodge is positioned in Sinettä exterior Rovaniemi and presents individually adorned rooms fabricated from ice and snow. On-site services embrace a snow sauna, an ice bar, and three lakeside eating places.
- SnowHotel – This ice lodge is a part of the bigger Snow Citadel complicated in Kemi and presents uniquely adorned and sculpted ice rooms. There’s additionally a heated lounge space for visitors to calm down in earlier than going to sleep. There’s additionally the Snow Citadel, a restaurant, a snow chapel, exhibition, and different facilities on web site. We’ve stayed right here.
- SnowVillage Resort – This snow lodge is positioned within the city of Kittilä close to Levi. Annually, the SnowVillage decorates itself primarily based on a special theme. There are additionally 2 eating places and a couple of bars on web site.
- The Fortunate Ranch, a horse ranch the place a handful of snow igloos are constructed annually in Pyhätunturi throughout the Pyhä-Luosto Nationwide Park. This was an amazing expertise with breakfast included and a heated additional room with beds arrange in case visitors get too chilly in a single day within the igloos.
We’ve stayed and visited lots of the snow accommodations and ice accommodations in Finland, so when you’ve got any questions, be happy to ask and we’re joyful to attempt to assist!
And that’s it for our evaluation of Kakslauttanen Arctic resort. We hope you discovered it helpful! Earlier than you head off and begin reserving your journey, we did simply wish to share with you some extra sources we’ve put collectively on our time in Finland, that will help you together with your planning.
- We now have an in depth one-week Finland winter itinerary that will help you plan a tour of the nation
- We now have a information to issues to do in Rovaniemi, to present you extra inspiration for what to do within the city
- We now have a complete information to all our favorite winter actions in Finland
- Finland could be very chilly in winter, and the important thing to a superb journey is to pack appropriately! That will help you out, we’ve got put collectively an in depth information to what to pack for Finland in winter
- If you happen to’re on the lookout for extra locations to go to in Finland, see our guides to visiting Porvoo, visiting Oulu and visiting Rauma
- Helsinki is the capital metropolis of Finland, and one we positively suggest you spend a while. See our information to issues to do in Helsinki, a instructed 1 day Helsinki itinerary, and our evaluation of the Helsinki card that will help you plan your time right here
- One other of our favorite winter places in Finland is Iso Syote. See our information to visiting Iso Syote right here.
- It’s not all about winter – Finland is an superior summer season vacation spot too! See our information to visiting Finland in summer season
- Lastly, in the event you’re on the lookout for a guidebook, you would possibly checkout the Lonely Planet information to Finland or the Perception Information to Finland
As at all times, we’re joyful to reply your questions – simply pop them within the feedback part under and we’ll get again to you as quickly as we are able to.